Closing Argument

A trial lawyer's commentary on his practice, developments in the law, and occasionally, life in general.

Name:

I hope you enjoy my blog. I am a trial attorney with offices at 100 West Monroe, Suite 1900, Chicago, Illinois. A large portion of my practice involves the representation of persons who have been injured due to auto accidents, work accidents or medical malpractice. In addition, I also also represent a select number of clients with business, commercial or employment disputes. If you wish to talk to me about a case, please contact me at my office, 312/346-3715 or email me at markploftus@aol.com

Monday, June 21, 2004

Contact me at markploftus@aol.com

According to news reports published last week, several lawsuits were filed in various states across the country against nonprofit hospitals for their billing practices. The lawsuits alleged that the hospitals violated their obligation as charities by overcharging people without insurance and then hounding them for the money. Hospitals in Chicago, Atlanta and Minnesota were targeted with more lawsuits expected in the near future. The lawyers involved are seeking class action status to represent those patients who should have received "affordable" healthcare, but in the final analysis, did not. Some of the hospitals involved are among the most profitable in the country with hundreds of millions[even billions]in assets and revenues.

The suits allege that after uninsured patients receive treatment, they receive bills that are substantially higher than the rates charged to insured patients. In some cases the bills were two to three times as high as an insured patient would have received. In addition, the lawsuits alleged that the hospitals were particularly aggressive in trying to collect from the uninsured. The hospitals counter that the billing rates for the uninsured simply reflect the discounts obtained by HMO's and insurance companies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home