Closing Argument

A trial lawyer's commentary on his practice, developments in the law, and occasionally, life in general.

Name:

I hope you enjoy my blog. I am a trial attorney with offices at 100 West Monroe, Suite 1900, Chicago, Illinois. A large portion of my practice involves the representation of persons who have been injured due to auto accidents, work accidents or medical malpractice. In addition, I also also represent a select number of clients with business, commercial or employment disputes. If you wish to talk to me about a case, please contact me at my office, 312/346-3715 or email me at markploftus@aol.com

Friday, September 10, 2004

BEEN AWHILE

Been awhile since I posted. No doubt my public is dismayed...

On the political front, check out Debra Pickett's column in the September 10, 2004 Chicago Sun Times. Great column about Kerry's somewhat incomprehensible approach to winning a presidential election. Pickett articulates what a lot of us Democrats are thinking - like when the hell is this guy going to get back in the game? Maybe he thinks the election is actually November 2005. Bush is beating him like a drum and Kerry is talking about obscure parts of his health care plan. Friends in Boston tell me that Kerry is a vicious, cutthroat politician who will do whatever it takes to win. I certainly hope so, but haven't seen that side of him yet. Lastly, Pickett has a great line comparing Kerry's war hero status to Bush being unable to fulfill his duty of keeping the Gulf of Mexico safe from the Viet Cong.

And how about that Alan Keyes? You gotta love this guy. Was quoted the other day saying that Jesus Christ would not vote for Barack Obama. The message, I guess is that Christ would vote for Keyes. Although I have to think that Christ would have bigger fish to fry than the Illinois Senatorial election. Obama is hands down a far more attractive candidate with a much better handle on issues that matter to the voters of Illinois. And he will bury Keyes in November. But I'll miss Keyes when he slinks back to Maryland. He may be wacky, idiotic and one-dimensional, but he is entertaining.

And finally, settled a case the other day for a dream client. Nice guy who was injured when his car was broadsided by another driver. Had a pretty serious injury to his left arm, necessitaing surgery. When I signed him up he told me wasn't going to bother me, but would let me do my job. And he wasn't lying. Never called. And when I need something from him, I would have it in a day. Convinced the carrier to fork over the $100,000 policy and he couldn't have been happier. Told me he was going to celebrate with a couple of shots of tequila. Couldn't have been more appreciative when he picked up his check. Clients like him make the practice a bit more tolerable.